Small Bathroom – Decorating Tips
Small bathrooms have their own challenges when it comes to decorating. The design layout for a small bathroom is the first challenge. Space is limited, so you cannot use it lavishly. Very small bathroom design calls for small furnishings, and few of them.
Small bathrooms demand decorating tips that differ from those for larger rooms. Decorating ideas for a small bathroom need not be limited to miniaturized versions of those for large bathroom, though. Consider the following small bathroom decorating tips.
Small Bathroom Decorating Tips
If you are remodeling a small bathroom, these small bathroom decorating tips will help you make the most of your space. Take time to plan before you begin remodeling or redecorating. Layout and decorating ideas are important and simple plans are needed to make them work well.
1. Floor: Use large, light-colored tile on the floor. White or very light beige or gray floor will give a small bathroom the illusion of space.
2. Walls: Choose light colors for the walls. They need not be white or beige, but dark colors in a small bathroom will make the walls “close in” on you.
3. Sinks: Look for small, wall mounted sinks without vanities. These permit more of your floor to show. More visible floor space makes a small bathroom appear larger.
4. Cabinets: Choose cabinets that can be set into the wall. Cabinet doors or open shelves should be flush with the wall surface. Smooth, unbroken wall surfaces make a small bathroom appear longer and wider. Any cabinet doors should be painted to match the wall color.
5. Mirrors: Hang large mirrors. Mirrors reflect space, and make a small bathroom seem nearly double the size. Consider a large mirror above the sink, and one or more additional mirrors.
6. Bathtub: Your small bathroom may have a bathtub. Replacing it with a clear-glass-door shower stall will free space. Or choose a small, extra deep Japanese style bathtub. This comes in a near-square that frees space beside the tub for your wall sink. The tub is large enough for small children. Older children and adults can use as a soaking tub. Add a shower and curtain for rush times.
7. Accessories: RV suppliers sell great accessories for small bathrooms. Over-the-door towel bars hold multiple towels in a small space. Tissue box holders in clear acrylic mount on the wall, as do toothbrush and tumbler holders. Make a checklist of what is used in the small bathrooms of RV’s.
8. Pictures and Plants: One of the most important small bathroom decorating tips is to use pictures and plants. Photos or prints mounted in “floating” clear frames can establish a decorating theme for a small bathroom. Two or three pictures of sandpipers on a beach, for example, can establish the use of sandy beige on the walls. Towels can be sandy beige with a border of marine blue. A shower curtain can carry through the theme. A green plant, live or silk, can be hung in a corner. Use a light-colored basket for an airy look.
Tips for Organizing Bathroom Cabinets
These tips for organizing bathroom cabinets will help keep your small bathroom looking great.
Reduce clutter by reducing container size. Shampoo, lotions, etc. are more economical in large sizes, but do not put them in your cabinet that way. Invest in small travel-sized bottles. Small bottles take less space, and are easier to handle. Fill with lotions and shampoos, and arrange in small bathroom cabinets. Store larger containers elsewhere.
Alternatively, attach a soap-shampoo-conditioner dispenser to the bath/shower wall. This frees the small bathroom cabinet of several items.
Store cotton swabs and cotton balls in small stacking containers with lids. For multiple lipsticks, use a holder – some offer up to 24 compartments.
As noted above, online RV suppliers offer solutions and tips for organizing bathroom cabinets.
Watch the video related to remodeling a small bathroom
Part 3 of my remodeling job, sorry if the quality sucks, my usual editing program decided to have a conflict and not load the files.